Sunday, February 1, 2009

Leaving Battaramulla - 29 January


I'm really struggling getting the lay of the land in Colombo. Hans has a shortcut to get anywhere and a long cut for those times he needs to avoid heavy congestion in traffic-jammed shortcuts. We never go the same way twice. That coupled with the fact that traffic flows opposite that in the US has my usually half-decent sense of direction all out of whack. I learned today that Hans' house is in Battaramulla, a suburb located southeast of Colombo proper. I had to buy a map to figure that out - there aren't many big green signs overtop the highway directing you to a specific town or suburb. The big green signs only come into play on round-abouts ... and those are a whole other level of chaos. I think I figured out the rules to drive by here (not that I could) - look only straight-ahead, never out the side- or rear-view mirrors, if there's a spot take it, and if there isn't a spot make it. It's that simple. Oh, and nerves of steel help, too - especially when you consider you share the road with cows, dogs, goats, humans, bicycles, motor-bikes, triwheelers, cars, buses, and other assorted vehicles.

Anyway, this morning I enjoyed my last breakfast with Hans and Beverley. The team will be handed-off to the Colombo Reconnections Rotary Club. Reconnections is one of only two RCs in the world formed by GSE team alumni, but there are now many members who are non GSE'ers. I also learned that Reconnections proposed Sri Lankan GSE team member Chamara.

The photo is of my host family Hans and Beverley in their garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment